Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Manny the Manipulator

Some of you may very well remember during my pregnancy my very good friend and alter ego Veronica. If not, you are probably better off without making her aquantance. She would often visit during my more hormonal or should we say "out of balance" days. She was not one of Tyson's favorite people and surely she made some of his days miserable but we both agreed that we would give her a name and acknowledge her presence and somehow that helped us find humor in all of the craziness of awaiting baby. She has not visited since the birth of my adorable son except MAYBE once or twice!

We do, however, have another visitor in our home. His name is Manny. Manny the Manipulator. He happens to be my sons good friend and alter ego this time. His first visit came a few days ago when I was frantically trying to figure out what it was that was making him so upset. He had been entertained, changed, loved on and fed in the last two hours so I was at a loss. I sat him down on the couch and took 5 seconds to prepare myself to feed him again when he kicked it in to high gear. He was ticked and you could hear the anger in that cry.
I looked right at him and in a stern voice I said;
"Sullivan Shawn, that is enough."
He stopped, looked right at me with a straight face as if he hadn't been crying in the first place and stared for a moment.
Just as quickly as the tantrum had stopped, it began again and I said once more in a stern voice "I mean it, that's enough."
And the scene repeated itself.

I then introduced myself, with an amused and adequatley perky mommy voice, to Manny. With a smile and a giggle he introduced himself as well. I picked the little booger up, gave him his afternoon nip and he was off to dreamland. It seems I have made a new friend.

I had to take a moment to laugh with my mom who had witnessed the whole thing. Again, I am learning that a hearty sence of humor is priceless in parenthood.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Just wait...the manipulation has just begun!! Still, it's pretty cute and I think that's exactly why it works so well.

Unknown said...

Ah. I see. Manny. ;] Now the conversation at lunch makes much more sense...Haha.

Patty B. said...

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES. Lets see some new pics, Missy. And how about that Skype, huh?
Nana monkey