Thursday, October 23, 2008

Recipe of the Week - Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole

OK, This one saved my life after vacation so I am passing this fantastic little secret on.

CampbellKitchen.com

We came home to an absolutely empty kitchen. Shredded cheese was about the only thing left in the fridge. So I headed to the canned and dry goods. Eureka, Cream of Chicken Soup! Who doesn't have a can of this in the cupboard? I remembered a recipe I had used off of a label a long time ago and went searching for it. The website is easy to use and has hundreds of great recipes. It even has a recipe box to store your favorites in.


I had everything in either the freezer or the cupboard. This one is a great one to use on the eve of a much needed grocery shopping trip.



Campbell's® Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole From: Campbell's Kitchen

Prep: 5 minutes

Bake: 50 minutes

Stand: 10 minutes

Serves: 4


Ingredients:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)

1 1/3 cups water

3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese


Directions:

Heat the oven to 375°F. Stir the soup, water, rice, onion powder, black pepper and vegetables in a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken. Season the chicken as desired. Cover the baking dish.Bake for 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Top with the cheese. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes. Stir the rice before serving.Tip: To try it Alfredo, substitute broccoli florets for the vegetables and substitute 1/4 cup grated Parmesan for the Cheddar cheese. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese with the soup. Top the chicken with the remaining Parmesan cheese.


Notes from Tracy:

I prefer this one without the veggies included and it is really good with the chicken cut up in tiny pieces instead. The whole pieces of chicken can be a bit dry. I also like to cover the whole thing in shredded cheddar... what can I say, I like cheese! 8 ) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Patty B. said...

Looks good, Trace, but now I'm going to have that cheesy song from the commercial in my head all day . . . "cheesy chicking and rice casserole" da-da-da-da-da